Saturday, June 25, 2011

Building a Garden

"A cow is a very good animal in the field; but we turn her out of a garden." Samuel Johnson (Life of Johnson)

I have been reading Andrea Merriman's blog. She always includes a quote. I like that. I think I will try it.

Well this week I am in the middle of a project that is taking way more effort than I like to do. On Wednesday some awesome volunteers came and built me a fence to keep the big animals out of my garden. (the deer & cows). It is nice to see it there gaurding my little spot of bare earth. I have spent several days building some shallow raised beds, setting them up, leveling them and filling them with soil ammendments, and etc.
As of tonight I have only one ready to plant. It is very late in the season. I hope that I get something to grow well this year but now my hopes are really for next year. I just keep telling myself that next year I will start with all this work already done. Anyway It looks like it will be near the 1st of July before I really have all the beds made and planted. Yikes!
Despite my sense of urgency, I love June. I am sad to see it leave. I think it is my favorite month to be outside. The air is sweet, the grass is still green, the calves are growing, and the birds are singing. I would like to order up a couple more Junes. I have not had my fill. I was almost to busy to enjoy the one I had. We did 2 brandings that I cooked for. We worked the yearlings. We were still calving. The kids are home and busy with summer hobbies and 4-H projects. I have had to mow the lawn constantly to keep it down. We have had a tornado scare and a few hail storm scares. The kids had Youth Conference and now Boy Scout Camp. And my big project this year is the fence and garden situation. I still need a yard fence to keep the cows out.
So another June, please. One that I can just enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment